Thursday, November 11, 2010

Bread

I've had better luck with my sourdough in the last week! Before I came to maine, of course.

Here are a couple loaves I made after babying my starter for a week or two - keeping it on the warm oven, feeding it totally faithfully, making sure it's cloth cover isn't askew:


Aren't they beautiful? And they taste exactly like sourdough should! The crusts aren't as perfect as commercial crusts, but that's because I don't have the right tools - a stone bread baking bowl, for example - and other than that, they're exactly what I want in my sourdough loaves!

Here is the recipe.

I also left my roommates with a couple loaves of this bread - I used half white flour and half whole wheat - which, if you double the recipe but bake it all in one pan as one loaf, makes this big, delicious loaf with a fluffily uneven crumb, perfect for sandwiches or toast. I've been eating it toasted with cream cheese for breakfast!


Deeeeeeelicious!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Did you just start baking bread when you moved to NY?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I baked a couple loaves in my time at Irvine, but not often. I started doing it regular-like in NY.

    ReplyDelete